There have been exceptional mothers in Science Fiction and Fantasy through the years. This year I want to narrow down the field to mothers that only appeared in one special platform. One place that doesn’t always get the science fiction right, but has given us some spaced out mothers to truly remember. I’m talking about the Original Mothers of the SYFY channel. Here are some of the best (and one worst) Mothers that have been featured on a series. (Warning – some Spoilers ahead).
Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell) STARGATE ATLANTIS
– Teyla was a warrior, but also a loving mom. She knew how to fight with two sticks, hold a gun, and hold a baby bottle… all at the same time.
SASKIA (Inga Cadranel) - LOST GIRL – After wondering where her parents were, Bo finally caught up to her mom. She didn’t realize it at first, but when Saskia revealed herself and her evil plans, Bo had to adjust her thinking about a family reunion.
Lt. Tamara Johansen (Alaina Huffman) STARGATE UNIVERSE
– Lt. Johansen wasn’t a mother for long. during an invasion of the ancient ship Destiny, the pregnant Tamara suffered a bullet wound. But she had a dream that her baby was saved by some ultra-powerful beings. Nobody actually believed her, but she kept her hope. Too bad the show got canceled, I would have liked to have seen what happened.
H.G. Wells (Jaime Murray) - WAREHOUSE 13 – Not only was H.G. Wells a woman in the series, but she was a loving mom. Unfortunately, Helena lost her daughter in an accident. She never stopped trying to master time travel so she could go back and save her.
Crewman Specialist Cally Henderson (Nicki Clyne) – BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
– Cally had a rough time on board the Galactica. But she finally got the man she loved and started a family with him. Even though the baby was half cylon half human, she was a caring mom. Too bad she didn’t last long enough to see the baby grow.
Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) – SANCTUARY
– Magnus fought creatures called abnormals in order to bring them to the Sanctuary. Her daughter Ashley was her number one assistant and weapons expert. But just because Ashley knew how to handle a gun, didn’t mean that her mother didn’t worry about her.
Officer Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) – FARSCAPE
– Aeryn never dreamed that she would fall in love with a human from across the galaxy that quotes the Three Stooges, let alone become a mother of his child. But stranger things have happened in the uncharted territories of the galaxy. Sun against two Empires to keep her kid safe.
Allison Blake (Salli Richardson-Whitfield) – EUREKA
– Mrs. Blake is one of the best moms on the SYFY channel ever. Her son was Kevin had autism during the first part of the series. She stuck by him through thick and thin. And when Allison went through some time traveling, Kevin wasn’t autistic anymore. From that point she fought hard to stay in that timeline. Allison also has a daughter Jenna by her former husband Nathan.
Lt. Sharon ‘Athena’ Agathon (Grace Park) - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA – Athena started out as a cylon on a mission to help destroy humanity. But that plan didn’t involve falling in love with a human being named Helo and having a baby Hera. Two warring people – the Cylons and Humans – fighting over Hera didn’t stop Athena from getting her baby back.
Bet you didn’t realize the SYFY Channel had so many moms? Well, it’s late in the day, but I still want to Wish all of the Mothers out there that are fans of the TV shows on the network. Hope you had a very wonderful and geeky Happy Mother’s Day.
Image sources: fystargatewomen.tumblr.com, lost-girl.net